Heritage railway goes wireless
Materials handling supply specialist, CP Automation, has donated a Magnetek wireless radio control system to Severn Valley Railway, after the heritage railway’s existing control system desperately needed replacing.
Severn Valley Railway is a heritage steam railway in Shropshire and Worcestershire, England, largely run by unpaid volunteers. Earlier this year, the charity was faced with a broken-down system that controlled the lifting of train axles via a hoist onto workstations for refurbishment.
Without the system, the voluntarily run organisation was unable to inspect and maintain its train axels, jeopardising the future of the railway. To assist, industrial supplier, CP Automation, provided a much-needed replacement and upgrade to the charity’s previous tethered system, and donated a wireless Magnetek Flex 4 to a collaborative project to save the railway.
The project was completed by integrator, MMB Services, who carried out installation services free of charge.
– This upgrade, thanks to CP Automation’s donation, has made the system a whole lot safer, explained Mark Mclean-Brown, director of MMB Services.
– The employees are no longer tethered to the pendant system, as the system is now wireless and radio-controlled. Now the workers have a lot more visibility and freedom of movement, to control the load better and move to safety if required.
The Magnetek Flex 4 supplied to Severn Valley Railway is part of the Flex EX series, a collection of durable and rugged radio control handheld devices, equipped with more than 200 programmable functions.
– The Severn Valley Railway is a superb restored railway line and an important tourist attraction for the Midlands, explained John Mitchell, global sales and marketing director of CP Automation.
– We have a strong partnership with MMB Services and Magnetek — and our strong level of industrial stock meant we had this part in our inventory. When equipment is needed quickly, as it was in this case, our teams can really rally together.
– Thanks to everyone who dedicated their time and resources to helping this charity replace their tired old system and reap the benefits of safer, radio-controlled lifting for years to come, continued Mitchell.
Detect moisture in oil with a reliable online transmitter - the Vaisala Moisture and Temperature in Oil Transmitter Series MMT330 enables fast and reliable detection of moisture in oil in central lubrication systems, hydraulic systems and power transformers.
We need to talk. Has anything enjoyable ever followed those four little words? “We need to talk,” says your wife/husband/attorney/boss/tax preparer. How did that work out? The truth is, those people generally have our best interests at heart, even if the lead-in to their discussion causes our defensive shields to activate. The same is true with this article. You and I need to talk. The subject? An asset management intervention.